Sunday, February 14, 2016

First Post of the Year

Well, it didn't take too long for the first post. Now that the holiday season is over, I've had a bit of time and was able to finish off the Down Main Ash Pit. I'm pretty happy with the result for such a simple scratch build job. It's basically a box built from laminated .60" styrene with some styrene strip added for the steps. The longitudinal wood beams are Redheads 90mm long matches stained with diluted Tyre Black. The NBW castings are Tichy Group 4.5" bolts which i had lying around in the spare parts box. I also added some Chucks Ballast ash in the bottom of the pit where some lazy labourer hasn't done his job.

I've started on the other 4 pits I need which are 2 x 40' in front of the Engine shed and 2 x 80' for inside the Engine shed. The plans I have of the Engine shed show only 1 x 40' pit inside the shed but all the photo's i have of inside the shed show long pits running nearly the entire length of the shed. So, I'm guessing that they're around 80' as the shed itself is approximately 106' in length. Also, one of the roads has a wheel drop so I'll put that in as well. You probably won't be able to see it unless you take a peek in the windows but at least we'll know its there.

That's it for now.