Sunday, August 6, 2017

Back on the Tools

I've turned my attentions back to making carriages again as I tried (in vain) to get some models finished for the Early Days Convention back on 22/7. I still took some along of what I'd been doing with some MLV's but didn't take any of the Milk LV's I'd been working on.
So here's where we're at with my Louvre Van Fleet. Firstly, I couldn't live with the dodgy 36ft MLV's that I'd cobbled together out of Berg's LV's so these were scrapped saving the ends and sides. I decided to makes some masters out of the Bergs LV's and create a proper 36ft MLV side. This seemed to work ok but I need to refine my casting skills as I had to make about 16 sides to get enough decent castings to make 3 wagons. Not a good success rate but it was still worth it as I have 3 reasonably accurate 36ft MLVs. Everything is scratch built bar the ends, couplers, buffers, bogies, and brake cylinder.

36ft MLV

Still working on the Roof

With the left over sides, I decided to make them back into LV's again but this time as Milk LV's with the lower panels opened out. I had enough bits left over to make 3 LV's, waste not want not!! Yes, it would have been easier just to buy the RTR version but where's the fun in that? So, I opened out the panels with a Jeweler's fret saw and used some Branchline models Milk Van ends to complete the model. All brake detail is included as this is standard for all my wagons and now I just to add the shade roof, brake hoses and coupler release bars before they go into the paint shop.

Milk LV

Needs a coupler release

I also had 3 Lima 18ft LV's which needed to be converted to NSWGR vans as per the Branchline Modeler Article from many years ago. This was done for 2 of them but the 3rd received the Milk treatment and has had the lower panels opened out much like the Berg's LV's. This one will end up as the Farmers and Dairymen's Milk Company No5 as built by Clyde.

Dairymen No5

The buffers are trial fit

Lastly, I have 2 Redfern Models Semi louvre vans that I've been working on. Basically, I've removed the under frame and all details on these 2 models and have rebuilt them. Still some work to go with steps on the end solebar, buffers, brake hoses and some hand rails still to be added on top of all the details already added. Its been worth it as the difference between before and after is quite marked.

I'll need to find a decent set of Diamond Frame bogies

I think I'll redo the steps as I'm not happy with them

Anyway, that's about it for the Louvre Van fleet. I'm just about done with them so next will be a trip to the paint shop for these wagons and the previously completed BLV's and then I can run some typical 1930's Fruit expresses. Just need the 57 on the front!!