Sunday, May 1, 2011

Let's do Everything Twice

Modelling is so much fun I'm going to do everything twice.....or so it seems at the moment. During the week I sprayed 2 x BKG's, KKG, KB, BKD, GT and NIB set with some Craftsman Models Tuscan Red that had been laying around for a number of years. Well that was a mistake, at least for the BKG's, KKG, KB and BKD. For some reason, the paint finish was "furry" and reminded me of the texture of rough suede. Now the GT and NIB set seemed to be nowhere near as bad but I can't work out why this has happened to the others. So what this has meant is I've had to strip the paint off with Poly S paint Stripper and start again. It also means reattaching some of the details that have come loose in the stripping process. I'm going to give the NIB and GT a blast of gloss clear to see if that fixes them up otherwise they'll be getting the treatment as well. This has never happened to me using Floquil Paints so I suspect it's to do with the Craftsman paint...maybe not thinned enough or too thinned either way, I've  got to do it again this time with some newer Railey Paint. Oh, I'm all ears if anyone has got any ideas what went wrong.
I also attempted to print the decals I'd spent hours on doing the artwork. I created the artwork using PowerPoint 2010 on my Windows 7 computer in the living room. The ALPS printer is getting on in years and as the manufacturing ceased about 10 years ago, there's no drivers available for modern Operating Systems. This means I have to run the printer via an old P3 laptop running Windows ME and using PowerPoint 2000. So I saved the artwork to the earlier version of PowerPoint and transferred the file to the laptop. I opened the artwork to see if everything was OK and all the print registration was all out of whack. The red shading had moved all over the place and will take hours to get it right again.
Happy Days!!

6 comments:

  1. G'day Rob,

    Not sure if this msg is working? I posted a comment yesterday and doesn't seem to show up.

    Love the track work you have been building. It looks so much better than bought stuff!

    I have a Humbrol tuscan mix that I think is quite good. I prefer Humbrol paints. If you interested I will send through the mixtures.

    Linton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linton,
    Hey mate thanks for the offer of your Humbrol mix I'd appreciate it. I'm going to have another shot using Railey paints as I suspect I had the compressor pressure too high and the paint was half drying before it hit the model. But I could be wrong so I'll test it out firt before trying the models. I'd like to try your Humbrol mix as well to see what looks best so thanks again for the offer

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Rob
    I had the same problem some years back with some Bakers (TLB) enamel. You are correct that the paint is almost dry before it hits the surface. Try thinning 100% (1:1)with QD thinners, not all purpose thinners, reduce air pressure and paint flow through the air brush and hold the brush a little closer to the model.
    I use Mirotone etch primer which I thin 200% and more sometimes to stop 'cob webbing'. Don't be afraid to thin enamels up to 150%, especially the older ones. It will knock the shine out of the gloss finish though.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob,

    I put another post on my blog with all the Humbrol colour info if your interested.

    Hopefully you can make some use of it?

    Talk to you later,

    Linton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gary,
    Thanks for the confirmation on the paint being dry before it hit the surface. From what you've said, I don't think I had it thinned enough as well as having too much pressure so I'll take your advice and thin 1:1 before I try again. I think I'be been spoilt by using Floquil for so long and have forgotten how to spray enamels

    Thanks again,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bewdy, thanks Linton.....Checking out Stonequarry Creek now.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete