Sunday, October 16, 2016

It Works

Here's a little clip of 5096 running a test train through Thirlmere.

So, as you can see, things are actually working on the Loop Line or Top Deck of the layout. Not without some issues, mind you, but mostly trouble free. I've got to work on a couple of points where the loco stalls at low speed but overall, I'm pretty happy given this is my first real layout.

I'm also learning about DCC at a rapid pace given the issues I had last week with an EPROM upgrade on my NCE PowerCab that totally screwed over the QSI decoder in the 50 class. Many attempts to reset using CV commands and DCC Magic Wand resets all led to nought until a conversation with Marcus Ammann led to taking the tender body off to find the reed switch (it had moved to under the coal space rather than where it was supposed to be under the water filler) and then do a DC reset. Bingo!! Chip reset to default again.

So, I've been having a bit of fun driving some trains from the bottom deck and up the helix through Thirlmere to Hill Top and beyond but I better stop and continue with the wiring for the bottom deck.

Getting closer!!

4 comments:

  1. Rob,
    Looks and sounds great and it's always easy to get distracted.

    Are the two water tanks behind 5096 the Road and Rail kits, and if so, re you happy with them. They look good in the video clip.

    cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil, I get distracted easily but I'm back into the wiring again. The 2 water tanks are scratch built out of styrene, brass bar and wire with Archer Rivet decals for the rivet detail. I made these over 5 years ago when nobody made WT's but now as you know, Road, Resin and Rail make them and from what I hear, they're not too bad.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you like blowing that whistle :-)

    I look forward to more videos

    Cheers
    Geoff
    P.S. I recently completed my new bench layout.The 4 foot height makes everything pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, the whistle doesn't sound right but I'm no expert. Thanks Geoff, hopefully there'll be more video soon. Why don't you update your blog so we can see what's going on?

    Chees,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete